Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Adrian Rubin

Adrian Rubin is a creative director from Brooklyn, New York. Having spent almost his entire life in the Big Apple, he has built a portfolio that mirrors some of the most lucrative Hollywood stars who operate in this industry. Although his roots pull him to a small city called Beacon, Mr. Rubin was able to easily accustom to the wider possibilities that a metropolitan location like the New York City provides. Common projects that are currently available on his agenda include advertising campaigns for large companies. Expectedly, the most important skills that he attributes a large share of his success to involve creativity, good communication, and teamwork. After all, one must have an above-average imagination and the ability to work with others in order to entertain the nature of work that Adrian Rubin is in.

 

 

What was your best/favorite subject in school?

Although it did not become my favorite subject until high school, art-related topics always intrigued me. Contrary to the popular belief, however, this does not merely include drawing. As a student, I was always interested in learning about the history of ancient and modern painting, proper techniques of drawing, as well as viewing the work of popular creators. Most people misinterpret someone’s passion for art as a minor excitement for drawing on a piece of paper. In my case, I yearn for everything that relates to this field and drawing is just a small piece of it.

 

What was your first job?

It was a part-time customer service gig that was based on phone calls. My main duties were comprised of acknowledging customers’ complaints and trying to guide them through their issues. Although it was not my dream job by any means, I would say that it helped me understand the importance of proper customer treatment.

 

Where and how did you first get into the industry you currently work in?

I was referred to an agency that was in need of directors who could lead a local marketing campaign. Since it did not pay off for them to add me to their payroll as a full-time employee, I was given a freelancing deal that brought me into their firm as an independent contractor. Luckily, I was able to perform very well for the duration of the project and our professional relationships continued for a long time. Eventually, however, that company relocated and I moved on to other clients.

 

How have those jobs prepared you for what you do now?

Both of them enabled me to improve my soft skills and be able to interact with others effortlessly. Furthermore, the second job that I mentioned was my entrance to this work field and it basically paved the way for my entire career.

 

Describe the best day of work you’ve ever had.

I had a project that I worked on for almost 3 years. It was a branding campaign that aimed to increase awareness about the client’s company and their products. After many hours and a lot of effort, we finally completed it towards the end of September in 2016. I never felt more accomplished in my life.

 

How do you keep yourself motivated?

By only accepting work that satisfied my curiosity and passion. I reached a point in my career where I am not forced to sign off on every single opportunity that comes my way. This is because I have a steady inflow of work from my long-term clients and it helps keep me busy nonstop. When I first started, however, there was nothing that I would decline as I was in desperate need of income to fund my life in a new city. This is no longer the case as reflected by my strategical selection of future projects.

 

What kind of business ideas excite you most?

The ones that are not limited by traditions and could be labeled as “eccentric”. Do not get me wrong, I used to enjoy working on conservative engagements. As I matured and my career progressed, however, my focus eventually shifted to more open-ended work where my imagination can be used to its full potential.

 

Have you ever tried any unorthodox techniques to attract attention to your business?

Not exactly. I have been fortunate to work for people who recommended me to their associates. Thus, referrals are my main source of new clients. I did advertise via social media a few times and that seemed almost revolutionizing given that I grew up without all of this technology.

 

What personal achievement are you most proud of?

Finishing college and maintaining a career as an independent contractor. For those unfamiliar, freelancing is usually hit harder by any downturns in the economy. If you work as an employee, you can always rely on your company to help. That is not the case when you are a contractor that has to find work themselves. Thus, surviving the great crisis of 2008 and growing my business are some of my most important achievements.

 

What wisdom would you have liked to share with yourself when you first started out?Spend more time studying the nature of freelancing. It was not until a few years into my career that I fully comprehended things like the self-employment taxes, health insurance requirements, expense deductions, and many other matters that are solely applicable to independent contractors. Learning these implications beforehand would have helped me perform better when money started pouring in!

No comments:

Post a Comment