Saturday, March 10, 2018

Blake Rubin

Blake Rubin is a California-based mobile developer with a primary residence in the sunny streets of San Fransisco. Prior to relocating to this area, he used to live in Los Angeles where he went to school. After graduating, however, he decided to move since many of his potential clients were a long drive away. Currently, in his mid-30s, Blake Rubin has been working in this field for over a decade and created a respectable portfolio for himself. As far as his current projects, they are generally based on consulting services surrounding the area of technological updates and the innovation that helps increase businesses’ efficiencies.

 

What was your best/favorite subject in school?

I had a class during my sophomore year in high school that involved computer animation. This is where I got to learn the basics of coding and putting things together using software. Eventually, this passion snowballed into a coding class, and I decided to make it a career. Nonetheless, this animation class was very nicely organized and the projects that I had to do were engaging.

 

What was your first job?

It was a freelancing gig for a marketing company in Los Angeles. They needed someone to update their systems and optimize them for a new computer software that just came out. I worked alongside their lead IT expert and we were able to get it done within two weeks. Later on, I prolonged the relationship with this company and ended up working with them on at least a dozen other projects. Sadly, they sold their business a few years ago so I have not had a chance to work on more engagements with their company.

 

Where and how did you first get into the industry you currently work in?

I think that I might have accidentally answered this question in my previous response.

 

How have those jobs prepared you for what you do now?

It was a good start because I got to see how the life of someone who works as an independent contractor differs from an official employee. You have a lot more freedom to make your own schedule, do things as you want, and there is nobody micromanaging your duties. Although there are some disadvantages, I think that freelancing is something that I prefer.

 

Describe the best day of work you’ve ever had.

Not sure that is possible. I have been in the industry for almost a decade and a half. Meaning, there have been countless days where I felt very accomplished and even more days that I felt overwhelmed with the amount of work that needs to be done. Usually, my best days are those when a project is finalized and my client tells me that they are satisfied with the work I have provided.

 

How do you keep yourself motivated?

I only work on those things that involve a minimum amount of “grunt” work and require me to learn new things. I made a few mistakes in my career where I accepted projects that were very uninteresting. These were probably the times when my motivation was running low. So, I just decided to never work on things that seem monotonous as it is hard to remain focused.

 

What kind of business ideas excite you most?

Investing ideas. I love stocks and I usually spend a few hours looking at my portfolio every day.

 

Have you ever tried any unorthodox techniques to attract attention to your business?

I guess you could label them that. I used to market my services through paper-based flyers back in the early 2000s. Nowadays, that would seem unorthodox because it is beyond obsolete. Other than that, I have really not done much to put myself out there since I always had a good inflow of work.

 

What personal achievement are you most proud of?

Relocating to San Francisco. Costs of living here are a lot different than they are in LA. Being able to figure things out and start from scratch in such a fast-paced environment were some of my most notable achievements.

 

What wisdom would you have liked to share with yourself when you first started out?

Network with as many people as you can. Although your grades and studies are important, you must be able to socialize with people. Especially in the freelancing industry as these individuals may become your main source of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment