Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Mark Campbell

For many entrepreneurs, becoming the “next big thing” can sometimes be a challenge. There are many hurdles to get over when building a business, one of them being how you gain enough funding.

But how does one procure these funds easily and within a time frame that isn’t wildly outrageous? One way that has proven to redefine the game is crowdfunding, something Mark Campbell is extremely familiar with. As the current VP of Marketing at InventureX, Campbell has a deep understanding of the steps to successfully launch a product while promoting a further audience reach.

InventureX is located in Santa Monica, CA and since 2012 they have worked their way to becoming the leading crowdfund program for aspiring entrepreneurs everywhere. And it’s easy to see why. With Campbell at the helm of all things marketing, he’s able to steer his clients to victory through well-crafted marketing efforts.

An entrepreneur by nature, Campbell’s keen awareness for business has given him the ability to spot opportunities easily. His laser-focused and passionate mindset allow him to reach new heights with the help of his team.

 

Who inspired you growing up?

A lot of people did actually. I’ve always had an entrepreneurial spirit so I was always looking at those who were making a name for themselves. And it didn’t really matter what industry they were in.

People like Mark Andresseen, Steve Blank, and Phil Knight were some of my biggest inspirations. I even looked at figures way before my time like Andrew Carnegie. The way he built his empire is impressive, especially considering where he started from and when in history it was all happening.

 

What were you good at in school?

I was surprisingly really great at math! I say that now because I rarely ever use what I learned and have no interest in it now. I don’t think I did even when I was in school but I still did well. Don’t get me wrong, math is an important part of life. It’s helped me figure out budgets and savings. I just don’t go outside of using my calculator on my phone these days!

 

What do you think has been the best part of your job?

It will and always has been the sheer amount of creativity that I get to utilize as VP of marketing. At InventureX we’re moving fast and we have to think on our feet all the time. Seeing the results of all those hours and weeks and months of work take flight is really amazing!

Watching our clients who have entrusted us to bolster their digital marketing efforts-succeed is also a great feeling.

 

What motivates you everyday?

My team for one! We try to lift each other up and get others energized to take on the day even when things are a little slower. They rarely are though. But I can count on them to want to put their best foot forward and continue making waves as we meet more and more launch goals.

I’m also motivated by our clients and how they are constantly crafting new ideas that they are passionate about. I also watch others in the industry who are also trying to make big moves in crowdfunding happen. That’s exciting to think about when looking towards the future of our industry!

 

What is one lesson you’ve learned that you find to be the most important?

Something that I’ve learned is that you can’t please everyone. It’s so easy to fall into this mindset where you think what you’re doing is going to be received well by the masses. And you can be blind to it when you’re on a constant streak of wins. Because when that one moment happens and there’s a bad review or something, it can take you by surprise. It can throw everything out of whack for you.

So I remind myself to acknowledge that I’m doing a good job and that I’ve done everything in my power to make something work. And if it’s still received poorly, then I don’t need to take it too harshly. It can take time to get to that point but I did it so through many years of experience.

 

Is there you wish people had told you before getting into the industry you’re in now?

Honestly, I’m not sure! I always sort of knew I wanted to do this work. To be in business and eventually marketing. I think I was given a lot of great advice from people but I sort of had a sense for what I was getting myself into even before I entered the workforce.

There are people in my family who are also entrepreneurs. I watched them to see what they did and then followed suit, but in my own way.

 

Do you have any advice that young marketers, entrepreneurs, and the like should know about?

Be prepared to spend a lot of money before you earn it. It’s important to budget wisely where you can. It’s extremely difficult to get through the first few years of any business and as an entrepreneur, you’re going to need all of the help you can get. Young marketers and business-minded people should look to the road ahead to see where the money will be allocated.

While it’s important to think of other things besides profits, it does become one of the crucial parts of your overall plan so you can measure business success later. And by budgeting, you can pay yourself at the end of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment